Friday, August 13, 2010

A day in the life

Ive just finished week 3 of my new job at the Department of Transport library, so I thought Id update you about how its going. Im working Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays until Feb 2011.

I get up (much) earlier than Im accustomed to :-) and get out of the house as soon after 7 as pos. I park in the new north carpark at Berwick station (plenty of room) and catch either the 7.24 or the 7.37 train, both get me to work well before 9, unless there is major train stuff up. No big deal about being late - just make up the time. The trip in is not bad. I get a seat and bury my head in a book. Normal workday hours are 9 - 5.06 with a half hour lunch. If I start early enough, I try to catch the 5.19 train home from Parliament station which gets me home at 6.30ish.The trip home is very ordinary. No seat and any sort of train glitch means the carriages are PACKED. Already some trips have been pretty bad and Ive only gone 9 days!

So, settling into the city worker routine (mostly black clothes, walk briskly, head down), I arrive at 121 Exhibition St. They call it SX1 - apparently because it used to be the site of the Southern Cross hotel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_Tower

The DOT library is on the 5th floor. Its quite large with a collection that reflects various govt dept changes over the years (transport, infrastructure, planning and community development, and heritage). Its open to the public so theres a desk to be staffed all day. Lots of nice spaces (for sitting, meeting and studying), even free coffee (of the nasty brewed variety).

My work with Acquisitions and Interlibrary loans is quite interesting because I havent done much of it before, but it also includes a bewildering array of procedures, forms and databases to be filled in and updated. Theres a lot to learn and an element of being chucked in the deep end but its not brain surgery (nothing that cant be fixed!). Theres been a lot of talk about the amalgamating libraries thing but itll be a slow process - some changes have happened already but (for example) no new library system before next Feb...Stuck with DBTextworks til then :-(

2 comments:

Janine K said...

Linda, It sounds like you will love the challenge of doing something a bit different to what you are used to, it helps stimulate the brain cells!!! Yep, that train trip is pretty ugly, I did it for years when I worked in the city, but that was a hundred years ago! I'm sure you will just grasp the bull by the horns and run with it. Will follow you with interest.

Carol Ely said...

Hi Linda,
Have just read your post on the DT job with interest - the 9-5:06 brings back memories! I LOVED working in the City but certainly DON'T miss the Journey in and out. Hope you keep up the posts - I'll keep watching. Carol